Mardi Gras is just around the corner so we’ve made up one our favorite cocktails, the Sazerac, adapted from The PDT Cocktail Book) (side note: we love this cocktail so much we even named one of our Rex rabbits after it!).
This cocktail is strong and intensely flavored…we usually make it with Old Olverholt Rye Whiskey because it’s a classic affordable rye but since we were recently gifted a gorgeous bottle of southern rye whiskey from Georgia we used that in this week’s version (second side note: using a cask-strength rye is not for lightweights).
We like cubes from Arctic Chill Ice Cube Tray for this cocktail.
- 2 ounces rye whiskey (such as Thirteenth Colony Southern Rye Whiskey)
- 3 dashes Peychauds Bitters
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 sugar cube (or 1 teaspoon granulated sugar)
- Fresh lemon peel
- Rinse a chilled lowball glass with absinthe and add one large square ice cube.
- In a cocktail mixer, muddle bitters and sugar.
- Add whiskey and ice; stir and strain into the rocks filled glass.
- Twist the lemon peel over the glass to express fresh citrus oils over the surface and discard. Cheers!