In keeping the Italian theme for this week we’re making one of our favorite pre-dinner cocktails, a Negroni. This version is a bit lighter and brighter because it swaps champagne for the gin. You can enjoy these on the rocks or up in a champagne flute just like you would a traditional Negroni (we like ours on the rocks).
- 1 ounce Aperol (we prefer Aperol over Campari in our house)
- 1 ounce Sweet Vermouth (preferably Dolin Rouge)
- 4 oz champagne or prosecco (we used Graham Beck Brut Rose here)
- Orange twist garnish
- Lowball or flute glass
- Rocks version (pictured): pour Aperol and vermouth over rocks in glass; gently stir. Top with champagne and orange peel garnish.
- Up version (not pictured): In a mixing glass filled with ice, combine the Aperol and sweet vermouth. Stir to mix and strain into a champagne flute. Top with champagne and garnish with orange peel.