Even though Chinese New Year isn’t until February 8, we’re getting started early with one of our favorite noodle dishes to make at home!
Adapted from The Woks of Life.
We make this dish vegetarian using Beyond Meat Beef Free Beefy Crumbles available from Amazon.
- For the "meat"
- 3 tsp oil
- 8 oz ground pork or Beyond Meat Beef Free Beefy Crumbles
- 2 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp five spice powder
- ⅓ cup pickled vegetables (if you can find some)
- For the sauce
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp five spice powder
- ½ pepper
- ½ cup chili oil
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- ¼ cup hot water from noodles
- For the noodles
- 1 lb white noodles, medium thickness
- 1 small bunch boy choy or broccoli rabe
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Chopped scallions (optional)
- To make the "meat" mixture, heat a teaspoon of oil over medium heat in a wok or frying pan. Brown the pork or beef crumbles, and add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and five spice powder. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- If using pickled vegetables, heat the other two teaspoons of oil in the pan over medium heat and sautee the vegetables for a few minutes. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, mix together all the ingredients. Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Cook the noodles according to package. Before draining the noodles in a colander, reserve 2 cups of the noodle water to blanch the boy choy or broccoli in. Cook greens for 4 minutes and then drain excess liquid.
- Toss the noodles and sauce in the pan, and divide into four bowls. Add the pork/meatless beef and pickled vegetables over the top. Sprinkle with peanuts and scallions if you like, and enjoy!